Monday, August 13, 2012

The evils of technology.

People are always asking me what my beef with technology is. Why don't you text, have a smart phone, cable etc... Since I feel so strongly on the subject I decided to share my thoughts with everyone and hopefully put an end to the annoying questions. Please do not reply to this post with objections. This is strictly my own personal oppinion and it is not up for debate. My personal thought is that technology is ruining relationships. I have been married for 10 years, and in that 10 years we have watched friends and family fall victim to the latest and greatest gadgit hype, not only in thier finances but relationships. People have survived centuries without a Droid or an IPad. Sure they can be fun, but when was the last time you actually sat in your back yard and played a game of Uno with your spouse, with actual playing cards? I can verify that it is a lot more fun than stalking an old highschool enemy online. I don't want to text I love you to my husband and have auto correct add a cutesy little heart, <3 U. I want him to hear the sound of my voice telling him I love him so that he can hear the sincirity in my voice and not just skip over it because that's how I end all my texts. My husband doesn't come home at night and park his butt on the couch to watch the shows he has DVR'd all day. If he's camped out on the couch it is with me, and we are watching a movie from our personal library or red box and eating a bowl of popcorn, not flipping chanels to find something to waste time. We don't lie in bed at night texting all of our friends to catch up on what we may have missed them posting on their wall. We are catching up on eachothers day and filling eachother in on what we missed with US that day. When we are in bed it's nobody's business what we are doing, but I can tell you this, clothing I want but can't afford on a pintrest board is not what I'm thinking about. And how about finances. My phone was FREE. Why because I wait till my phone company sends me a phone that is older than dirt because they are clearing out the old models, but guess what, I still have a phone that works. I can't tell you how many times I hear people complaining about the new phone they just got that doesn't work and now they have to go thru the hassle of getting a new one. And why are they so upset about it? Because it was a $200.00+ phone, just the phone. That doesn't include the monthly bill, activation fee, insurance... For $200.00 I can pay a bill and get out of debt. Or if I'm feeling not so thrifty I can take 1/2 that and go to dinner with my husband and order way too much food so that we can take some home and enjoy it in bed the next morning while watching old episodes of the smurfs and looney toones.(A much better use for the internet than tweeting) Think back to the last time you and your spouse argued because their wasn't enough money for something one or both of you wanted/needed. Maybe had you not purchased the latest app on ITunes, or whatever, you could have afforded whatever it is you were arguing about. I hear people say, I send a text because I don't really want to talk to them right now. Guess what, if you don't want to talk to someone what makes you think they want a text from you. And another thing, mass facebook/text is not an appropriate way to invite someone to an event. If you want me to take the time out of my life that is just as busy as yours, to come to your event and support you, then have enough decensy to personally invite me. I think one of the most rude, disrespectful things someone can do is start fidiling with thier smartphone while I am talking to them. Oh, I'm sorry. Am I boaring you? My appologies if I am, I will leave. My time is far to valueable to sit and watch you play friends with words or whatever it is you are playing with another person. Technology is reality and it will continue to be so. Don't get me wrong, I love a good lazy moment on FB. But I love even more a good BBQ with friends, face to face. Or kicking my husbands butt and Skip-bo. Think how much nicer the world would be if people put as much time into their relationships as they do their gadgets? This is why I choose to "live in the dark ages" as many of you so frequently mock. Again, this is how I feel. You have asked. I have answered. End of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment